Due to the COVID-19, we regret to inform you that there will be no in-person Camp Cosmos for the Summer of 2020. We are working on providing digital resources soon. Please stay tuned to our Facebook page for other space resources and remote programs we will be conducting!
The Planetarium at Wayne State University is excited to announce our ninth Astronomy Summer Camp, Camp Cosmos.
Camp Cosmos is a two-week long astronomy and physics day camp designed for student ages 12-15 (suggested grades 7-10).
Recommended ages: 12-15
Camp hours: 9am-4pm Monday-Friday (except for July 19th which is 9am-1pm)
Early drop-off or late pick-up arranged at no additional cost.
Students will investigate the night sky and explore astronomy beginning in our own Solar System, then expanding outwards to the Milky Way galaxy and the universe beyond! Learn about the Big Bang, stellar evolution, supernovae, neutron stars, black holes, galaxies and cosmology as well as current mysteries like dark matter and dark energy!
This year we're celebrating the 50th anniversary of the Apollo 11 Moon landing, and the 100th anniversary of the solar eclipse experiment that proved Einstein's theory of relativity was correct!
In addition to these out-of-this-world experiences, we'll also do field trips to local venues, like the Detroit Institute of Arts, the MIchigan Science Center and Wayne State's Rock Climbing wall.
WSU Camp Cosmos is a cosmic experience!
Local Excursions this year currently include:
- Detroit Institute of Arts
- Michigan Science Center
- WSU Rock Climbing Wall
- WSU Rec Center
- WSU Natural History Museum
- WSU Mineral Museum
- WSU Anthropology Museum
Hands on activites this year currently include:
- An introduction to Stellarium astronomy software
- Planetary Geology Lab
- Exploring Exoplanets with Jake
- Hands on Seismology with Dr. Burdick
- Dry Ice Comets, Solar System Walk and Solar Telescopes with Ben
- Lasers and Wacky Physics with Dr. Kelly
- Creating Satelite Models
- Cosmology on a table top with Dr. Cinabro
- Phantastic Physics Phenomena with Dr. Kauppila
- Astronomy Lab activities
- Liquid Nitrogen Experiments and Flash Frozen Snacks
- Planetarium shows every day!