Detroit's Home for the Stars
All planetarium shows up until June 12th are cancelled.
We will continue to follow recommendations from the governor, and will make an announcement when planetarium shows are being scheduled again. Please follow us on Facebook, Eventbrite, and the WSU events calendar for more updates.
Please join us for a virtual planetarium show! We are using Zoom to host a live planetarium show about the summer sky with a focus on objects in our own Solar System. Rhiannon, our presenter, will guide you through a show about the night sky over Detroit and then we'll have time to answer your questions. At the end of the show we'll give you the link to a 30 minute film called Solar Superstorms which you can watch at the time of the show, or save for another day.
Please RSVP with the link below. Space is limited, so be sure to reserve your spot!
Check out our most recent video on retrograde motion, narrated by our very own presenter, Rhiannon Partington!
The WSU Planetarium is an astronomical education resource for Wayne State University students and the larger Detroit community. In addition to hosting shows for WSU astronomy and physics courses we offer:
- Free public planetarium shows nearly every Friday night at 7 p.m. and 8:30 p.m.
- Free young astronomers planetarium shows on the second Saturday of each month
- Free shows for WSU student organizations, classes and other campus entities
- Private planetarium shows and/or physics demonstrations for school groups of all ages
- Private planetarium shows for all other interested groups, including birthday parties, summer camps, scouting groups and more
- Public science lectures each month, sometimes at the planetarium and sometimes out on the town!
- A two week summer day camp for 12-15 year-olds
- Additionally, the planetarium space can be reserved by WSU groups and classes for their own special events when not in use
Space is limited and tickets are claimed quickly.
Public show reservation information
- Free public planetarium shows are held most Fridays at 7 p.m. and 8:30 p.m. Two-thirds of our 60 seats may be reserved using Eventbrite beginning at noon the Sunday before the show. The other 20 tickets will be available at the door for walk-ins. Ticketed guests that are not at the planetarium 10 minutes before show time will have their seats released to walk-in guests. We recommend arriving 20 – 30 minutes early for walk-in seats, to ensure you get one
- Free Young Astronomer shows are offered one Saturday morning per month. These shows are geared towards children under 10 and their families. Two-thirds of our seats may be reserved using Eventbrite beginning at noon the Sunday before the show. The final one-third of tickets will be available at the door for walk-ins. Ticketed guests that are not at the planetarium 10 minutes before show time will have their seats released to walk-in guests. We recommend arriving 20-30 minutes early for walk-in seats
Please see our FAQ for information about what to expect at planetarium shows. Public shows are free and open to everyone. Due to strong interest, we recommend you reserve seats if you are coming from a distance.
Science Under the Dome
This free public science lecture series is held once a month during the academic year. LAB Night is our special Lecture at the Bar series that brings scientists out to local watering holes for a change of atmosphere.
- Virtual Planetarium Shows at the Wayne State Planetarium
- A parade of planets in the morning sky
- COVID-19 updates
- Transit of Mercury across the Sun: WSU Events & FAQ